The process of choosing the best camera for kids is not as easy as most people think.
Ideally, the best camera for kids should be child-friendly and easy to use. So, to achieve this, you need to understand the needs of a child when it comes to photography and playful activities and set a reasonable budget.
In this post, we are going to share some of our top picks so that you can make an informed choice when you decide to buy one for your child.
You might also be interested in: Best Camera Under $300
Best Camera for Kids: Our Top Three
What to Look for When Buying the Best Camera for Kids
Here are some of the key elements that you need to consider:
Size. If you are planning on buying a camera for your kid who is under the age of 10, it is important to realize that their fine motor skills are not very developed.
You should, therefore, go for a camera that is just big enough for them to handle comfortably. Luckily, most kid’s cameras often come with handles that make them safer and easier to operate.
Durability. Kids are more susceptible to dropping things accidentally. As a result, you need to factor the durability of a camera when deciding whether or not it’s the right one for your child.
The good thing is that most kid’s cameras are built from materials that can sustain the shock from getting knocked or dropped. Some also come with additional protective features such as waterproof and dustproof capabilities to prevent damage during outdoor use.
Usability. When deciding which camera to get for your kid, you also need to take into account the ease of use.
The best kid’s cameras typically have bigger buttons that make it easier for children to press on. Some also come with a display instead of a viewfinder, which allows the kids to focus and shoot more easily.
Top 10 Best Cameras for Kids
Best Camera for Kids Our Top 10
VTech Kidizoom Duo Deluxe, $36.17
VTech Kidizoom Duo Deluxe Features:
- 5.0 Megapixels
- 2.4” colored display
- Built-in auto flash
- It has dual viewfinders
- 256 MB built-in memory plus expandable memory of up to 32GB
Nikon Coolpix W150, $166.95
Nikon Coolpix W150 Features:
- 13.2 MP CMOS image sensor
- 3X optical zoom glass lens
- Built-in WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth
- It is waterproof
Fujifilm Instax Mini, $69.99
Fujifilm Instax Mini Features:
- One-touch selfie mode – comes with a built-in macro mode and selfie mirror
- Automatic exposure – automatically select the shutter speed depending on the environment
- Customizable – the camera comes with two shutter buttons and accessories
Sony DSCWX220, $198.00
Sony DSCWX220 Features:
- 18.2 megapixel Exmor R CMOS
- 10X optical zoom
- Built-in Wifi and Picture filters
- Intelligent AUTO
Kodak Smile Instant Camera, $99.99
Kodak Smile Instant Camera Features:
- Uses zero-ink technology to print HD photos on 2” x 3” photo paper
- 10 megapixels sensor
- It has an LCD viewfinder
- Auto flash
- Rechargeable batteries
Akaso V50X 4K Action Camera, $99.99
Akaso V50X 4K Action Camera Features:
- Intuitive LCD display
- 4K video
- Electronic image stabilizer
- Customizable viewing angle
- It has a long battery life
Canon PowerShot ELPH 190, $98.49
Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 Features:
- 20 megapixel CCD sensor
- 10X optical zoom with optical image stabilizer
- Smart AUTO selects the right shooting settings according to the environment
- Multiple scene modes including Monochrome and Fisheye effect
Fujifilm FinePix XP 130 Waterproof Camera Features:
- 16.4 megapixel CMOS sensor
- It is waterproof and dustproof
- 5X wide-angle optical zoom lens
- Geo-tagging feature
- It has Bluetooth capabilities
Fujifilm Instax Square, $124.99
Fujifilm Instax Square Features:
- Prints photos on square Instax film (2.4” x 2.4”)
- Allows you to edit photos before printing
- 3” LCD display for viewing images and settings
- 3X optical zoom lens
Panasonic LUMIX Waterproof Camera, $127.99
Panasonic LUMIX Waterproof Camera Features:
- Waterproof, dustproof and freezeproof
- Mega O.I.S lens compensates for blurring caused by movement
- Great for underwater shots
- MP4 HD video recording
- It has 220 MB built-in memory
A Final Word
So what is your favorite camera for kids?
Finding the best camera for your kids doesn’t have to be a frustrating process. There are plenty of highly functional, child-friendly and durable cameras for kids that you can get at literally any budget. So, if you are thinking about a great camera to get your kids started on photography, you definitely now know where to start looking.
Buy one today and let us know how it goes!