A waterproof camera bag can save your gear.
If you’re an ardent traveler, taking photos of exciting things and places you come across is more or less like an instinctive thing – you simply can’t avoid it. And because you can’t really control the weather (or can you?), getting a waterproof camera bag to hold all your camera equipment during your trips is the most logical course of action.
Having had to throw out a quite expensive DSLR camera that had gotten damaged during a snowstorm on one of our trips, we know a thing or two about the need to keep your cameras dry.
From experience, however, getting a decent waterproof camera bag can be a hassle and thus we decided to highlight 10 of the best bags in the market to save you the trouble.
Related: Best Camera Bags
Waterproof Camera Bags Comparison Table
Waterproof Camera Bag: Our Top Picks
What To Look for When Buying a Waterproof Camera Bag
Here are 4 essential factors that may determine whether a particular bag is suitable for you or not:
Obviously, your waterproof camera bag should have enough space to fit your camera(s) and accessories simultaneously. Avoid going for a bag that’s too large if all you have is your digital camera and a lens or two. It will not only be too heavy to carry, but also increase the chances of damage to the camera or lens due to unrestricted movements.
Your Preferred Method of Carry
Just like with normal bags, camera bags come in all designs and shapes, so it’s important to first decide how you’d like to carry your prospective bag before purchasing one. If you don’t have much equipment, a simple single-shoulder or hand carry bag is probably your best choice. If you’re a backpacker or travel with lots of gear, you may want to get a backpack-style bag that helps in distributing the weight and stress over different parts of the body.
Waterproof bags are made using different types of materials that, whilst having similar levels of impermeability, have varying degrees of durability. To that effect, we would recommend going for bags made of tarpaulin, nylon or advanced denier TXP bases as they are tougher and last longer even when exposed to tough outdoor conditions.
Depending on the nature of your photography work, you may also want a bag that offers additional features, such as extra pockets for your phone, memory cards, tripod sockets and chargers.
Best Waterproof Camera Bags List
All said, here’s our top 10 best waterproof camera bags list in 2020:
Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L
- Made from 400D Nylon canvas
- 20L of Storage adapt for a DSLR body and up to 4 lenses
- Laptop sleeve for a 16″
- Interior pockets for batteries, memory cards, filters, and much more
- Made from water-resistance cotton canvas
- Well padded interiors
- Two outer pockets for storing SD cards, batteries, chargers, etc
- Carrying options: a wide, adjustable shoulder strap OR sturdy top handle
- Made with 450 ripstop waterproof nylon
- Adequate space for a DSLR (or a compact camera) and a 15-inch laptop
- Available in black and charcoal colors
- Large padded shoulder harness for comfortable carrying
Lowepro DryZone 200 BackpackNo products found.
- Made from 600 denier TXP and 2000 Denier Ballistic Nylon
- Tripod strap on the front
- Self-draining mesh pockets for accessories
- Waterproof TIZIP Zipper enclosure
LowePro DryZone Waterproof Camera Duffle Bag
- Made from lightweight, waterproof and splashproof fabric
- Can accommodate a DSLR with three 70-200mm lenses
- Wide opening for easy access
- Comes with a fully padded, waterproof camera case
Neewer Pro Waterproof Camera CaseNo products found.
- Made from durable waterproof polyester and nylon fabrics
- Can fit a DSLR plus complementary accessories such as radio triggers, lenses and batteries
- Customizable interior compartments
- Tripod straps available
- Two shoulder straps
Think Tank Photo Spectral 8
- Made from tarpaulin base and 420D velocity nylon
- Designed for DSLR/mirrorless cameras
- Padded outer compartment that can fit an 8-inch tablet
- Fidlock clasp and zipper closure mechanisms
- Side pocket dor SD cards, batteries and other accessories
AmazonBasics Small Hard Camera Case
- Made from hard, waterproof plastic shell
- Watertight up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes
- Fortified top handle for carriage
- Can hold SLRs, compact cameras and GoPros
- Customizable interiors
Qcute Tactical Bag
- Made from military nylon treated to become waterproof
- Includes a main compartment and 7 additional pockets for accessories
- Shockproof polyester-lined interiors
- Adjustable backpack-style shoulder strap
AmazonBasics Holster Camera Case
- Made with water-resistant EVA base
- Designed for carrying single DSLR units
- Features one main compartment for the camera and 5 external pockets for accessories
- Adjustable single-shoulder strap
There you have it – a simplified list of the best waterproof camera bags in the market today. We made efforts to ensure diversity in terms of prices and features and we are confident that you are now in a better position to make an informed choice.
Stefano Caioni is a photographer from Sydney, Australia. Founder and editor of Pixinfocus, his passion for photography helps him explore new places and live new adventures. Thanks to photography he reconnected with the outdoors and was able to travel the world and take photos of some of the most beautiful places on Earth.