Last Updated on
I’ve been passionate about landscape, lifestyle and travel photography for several years now. In the course of my photography life, I’ve used, or come across hundreds of equipment, be it cameras, drones, lenses and lights. Naturally, I’m quite knowledgeable about different photography equipment, and as a consequence, there are lots of people – both in my personal and professional life – who come to me for advice on various things.
One common question is, whenever I’m on the move, what’s in my camera bag? Of course, most of the people who ask are beginners and are not much into the fancy, expensive stuff, but just want to know the basics. Fortunately, today, I will provide a sneak peek into my camera bag.
But even before we get there, I must mention that if you’re not a pro, some of the featured equipment may sound alien to you. However, I’m sure the accompanying explanations will at least make sense to you. You also don’t need to spend a fortune, as most of the equipment are budget-friendly.
Well, let’s get started!
- New 20.4 megapixel live MOS sensor
- New TruePic VIII dual quad core image processor, auto focus points phase detection: 121 (121 cross type), contrast detection: 121
- 60 frames per second S AF, 18 frames per second C AF (silent electronic shutter)
- 15 frames per second S AF, 10 frames per second C AF (mechanical shutter)
- 121 point dual fast AF with cross type on chip phase detection focusing
As you would expect, the first thing that goes into my camera bag is my camera. The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, with its 20M Live MOS Sensor and anti-flicker shooting, is arguably one of the most advanced outdoor camera.
The camera supports high-definition, high-speed sequential shooting (up to 60 fps) which, coupled with a high-speed viewfinder, makes it especially apt for capturing outdoor scenes in motion. Other notable features include a Zuiko Lens, Truepic VIII Image Processor, and 4K video quality.
- Constant f2.8 maximum aperture
- Focal length: 12 to 40 millimeter, minimum focus distance 7.87 inches (20 centimeter )
- Drip proof; Dustproof, splash proof, and freeze proof construction. Lens construction: 14 elements in 9 groups (Aspherical ED lens, 2 Aspherical lenses, DSA lens, 2 ED lenses, HD lens, 2 HR lense)
- Includes lens hood and pouch, filter size 62 millimeter, equipped with manual focus clutch mechanism
- Compatible with Olympus and Panasonic cameras
Being a (mostly) outdoor photographer, I find the 12-40mm F2.8 Pro quite useful in many situations. It features excellent zoom capabilities. Moreover, the 12-40mm Pro is dustproof and splash-proof, making it ideal for extreme weather conditions.
- Dust, splash, and freezeproof construction
- Shipes with lens cap (LC-72C), rear lens cap (LR-2), lens hood (LH-76), and lens case (LSC-1120)
- Manual focus clutch mechanism
I also carry the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro telephoto lens. With a bright F2. 8 aperture, you don’t have to worry much about lighting when using this lens. It’s a very sharp lens and the quality of images is superb. You can obtain an excellent bokeh with it and the autofocus is impeccable.
- 7 14 millimeter(14 28 millimeter 35 millimeter equivalent) lens with splash and dustproof construction. Angle of view 114° 75°
- Closest focusing distance at just under 7. 5 centimeter, maximum image magnification: 0. 12x, focal length: 7 14 millimeter
- Manual focus Clutch Mechanism and l fan button for assignable functions
- 3 Super ED Lens elements, 1 ED Lens element, and 2 elements to diminish aberrations
- 60 percentOf the weight of 35 millimeter full frame lens (with same angle of view and max. Aperture)
The Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro stays in my camera bag for those moments I want to shoot very wide-angled scenes. The zoom lens also provides an angled view between 75 -115, which you will rarely find, unless you are using a fisheye lens. This lens is suitable for outdoor use and landscapes, and as the other Olympus Pro lenses it is weatherproof and has a metallic body. Built like a tank.
- Special teleconverter for Olympus 40 150mm f/2.8 PRO lens
- Increases maximum focal length to 420mm equivalent.Accessories for zuiko digital lens / OM Series lens:OM D / PEN series, OM series,Four Thirds series
- Preserves dust, splash and freezeproof properties of master lens
- Compatible with announced Olympus 300mm f4.0 PRO lens coming in 2015
- Please note-When using a 1.4x teleconverter, you lose 1 stop of light, so for example, when using an f2.8 lens, the widest aperture you can use the lens at is f4.0
The Olympus Teleconverter 1.4x was aptly released together with the 40-150mm F2.8 Pro lens mentioned above. Considering it weighs only one ounce, it’s a great fit for my small camera bag.
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Hard Drive
- Store and access 2TB of photos and files on the go with Seagate Backup Plus Slim, an external hard drive for Mac and Windows
- This portable external hard drive features a minimalist brushed metal enclosure, and is a stylish USB drive
- Simply plug this external hard drive for Mac and Windows into a computer via the included USB 3. 0 cable to back up files with a single click or schedule automatic daily, weekly, or monthly backups. Reformatting may be required for use with Time Machine
- Edit, manage, and share photos with a 1 year complimentary subscription to Mylio Create and a 2 month membership to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan
- Enjoy long term peace of mind with the included 2 year limited
Fundamental to keep my digital photos organized and always with me.
- Leg-Angle Selector: Its ergonomic leg-angle selector is designed to be used smoothly by both right and left-handed photographers, enabling everyone to change shooting perspectives intuitively and to find the right tripod setting without losing focus on the shot they want.
- Shooting Versatility: The Befree GT can easily be set to three independent leg angle positions, ing full shooting versatility for all the creative ideas that can emerge outdoors.
- M-Lock System: The BeFree's M-Lock twist lock system was developed by Manfrotto to satisfy anyone looking for a fast, easy to use, compact solution. Moreover, the M-Lock has no protruding parts and its mechanism closes perfectly around the head, enabling the Befree GT to slip into and out of its storage pocket effortlessly.
- Easy Link: The spider featured on this innovative model also has an Easy Link allowing photographers to enhance their creativity by adding accessories that make their images unique and unforgettable.
- 496 Aluminum Center Ball Head: This tripod is kitted out with Manfrotto's advanced 496 aluminum Center ball head, a portable yet powerful and intuitive head that allows smooth and precise camera movement.
For holding my cameras, I carry an aluminum Manfrotto Tripod BeFree, which, despite the make, is quite lightweight and fits perfectly in my camera bag, courtesy of the inverted-leg folding mechanism. It has a ball head equipped with a single-wing knob controller that allows you to control panning when shooting.
- Mini tripod for Compact System Cameras
- Comfortable handgrip to capture great videos
- Push button locking mechanism for easy setup
- Lightweight, intuitive to use and easy to carry
- Attractive Italian design
Since I often find myself snapping pictures with my iPhone, I bring my Mini Manfrotto Tripod with me at all times, to provide stability. The tripod has a maximum height of 24.7cm, and has a stable and universal smartphone clamp. The rubber coating on the handle provides a comfortable and stable grip, and it also features a locking mechanism which facilitates an easy set-up. Honestly I’ve also used it to hold my camera at times.
- Brand new "side pressure" clip design makes inserting filters smoother and easier
- Raised lip makes removal of CPL easier than the original V5 Holder
- Compatible with all 2mm thick 100mm filters
- Machined aluminum construction
- Includes a removable 86mm glass circular polarizing filter
The NiSi 100mm V5 Pro filter holder system is a must-have if you constantly use filters in your photography. Its dynamic clip design ensures that inserting filters is a seamless process, and the component parts are also easy to set up. It also comes with a 86mm polarising filter out of the box, and supports lenses between 52mm and 82mm.
My portable Dji Mavic Pro drone comes through for me whenever I need to take breathtaking aerial shots. Its features include a 7km range, a stabilize 4k camera and produces very low noise levels. The drone doesn’t need GPS or satellite to hoover indoors and can also sense, and avoid, objects up to 50ft away.
- This product is in manufacturer E-Commerce packing (see pictures). The product itself is identical to the one found in retail packaging & it is covered under full standard warranty
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro
GoPro Hero 5 is undoubtedly one of the best and most effective cameras for action scenes. The camera is very small, and has a GPS, color touchscreen, and voice control function. It’s also waterproof, and provides exceptional audio quality.
- RM-UC1 Remote Cable Release - wired
- RM-UC1 Remote Cable Release
The Remote Shutter Release RM-UCI cable comes in handy when you need to release the shutter without compromising the stability of the camera. The device encompasses a lock release button, and is compatible with DSLR and mirrorless cameras.
- Replacement battery for the Olympus E M1 Mark II
- 7.4V, 1720mAh, 12.8W
- Approx. 2 hours for full charge when used with the Olympus BCH 1 battery charger
I always bring three BLH-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batteries (1720mAh) for my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. When appropriately charged, it provides up to 24 hours of service, which is quite awesome. If you plan on buying the battery, don’t forget to also purchase the recommended BCH-1 Rapid Lithium-Ion Battery Charger if you want it to last longer.
- Removable protective camera insert
- Perfect for DSLR or CSC camera with attached zoom lens
- Padded back panel and adjustable shoulder straps for comfort
- Adjustable shoulder straps
I love carrying my Manfrotto Street Backpack whenever I’m going on an extensive photography trip. The backpack offers strength, durability, and protection for all equipment. Talking of equipment, the Manfrotto backpack has multiple compartments and exterior pockets that can collectively hold a DSLR or mirrorless, tripod, all sorts of lenses and a 15″ laptop. It’s also designed to provide comfort when walking with a padded back panel, and adjustable shoulder straps. I’ve also made a list of the best camera bags if you’re interested you’ll find it here.
I also use camera straps and you’ll find a complete list here: best camera straps
Now, here is the deal…
As a photographer, whether you are experienced or just starting out, you need to invest in various gadgets in order to succeed in this highly competitive industry. The trick is to identify your niche, and thereafter, choose tools that will complement your work, depending on the available resources. Also, remember, you don’t have to buy all the equipment at once. Step by step.
It is as simple as that!